The following services are limited to current AMBS students and faculty:
- Interlibrary loan service
- Direct borrowing from other Indiana academic libraries
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to get a book?
Most interlibrary loan materials take 1-2 weeks to arrive.
How long does it take to get an article or chapter?
Copies may arrive within 1-2 days if they can be delivered electronically.
Borrow Directly from Other Libraries
AMBS students and faculty may borrow books at any college, university, or seminary library in the state of Indiana.
- Some libraries, such as the Good Library and Mennonite Historical Library at Goshen College, will allow you to borrow with your AMBS Library Card. (full list)
- Other libraries, including University of Notre Dame, allow you to borrow with a special ALI reciprocal borrowing card. Get one from an AMBS librarian before you go. (full list)
Students living in the city of Elkhart may get a borrower's card at the Elkhart Public Library with proof of residence. Elkhart Public Library also offers reciprocal borrowing privileges to cardholders from other local public libraries.
- Seach WorldCat for the desired book.
- Display the full record.
- Click on the "Borrow this Item from Another Library" link.
- Enter your personal information, status, and "Not Needed After" date.
- Click Submit.
- Your request will be sent automatically to other libraries. A library staff person will contact you when the book has arrived, usually in 1-2 weeks.
Request Copies of Articles or Book Chapters
- Search for articles on the library website or in EBSCO databases.
- If you don't see a link to the article, use the link. If it is not in the AMBS Library, you will see an interlibrary loan form with the citation entered already.
- Add your name and e-mail address, then send the interlibrary loan request.
- When the article or chapter arrives, it will usually be delivered to you via e-mail. Articles or chapters often arrive in 1-2 days.
Request from Catalog+
Access & Digital Services Librarian
Requesting Videos & CDs on Interlibrary Loan
Most libraries will not send out videos and CDs on interlibrary loan. You are welcome to place a requests for videos and CDs you find in WorldCat, but please be advised that these requests are frequently denied.
If you have a course or research-related need for media items, please consult with Karl Stutzman when submitting your request.
Textbooks on Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary loan service is not designed to meet students' textbook needs. Please do not submit interlibrary loan requests for course textbooks.