The following services are limited to current AMBS students and faculty:
- Interlibrary loan service
- Direct borrowing from other Indiana academic libraries
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to get a book?
Most interlibrary loan materials take 1-2 weeks to arrive.
How long does it take to get an article or chapter?
Copies may arrive within 1-2 days if they can be delivered electronically.
Can I request audiovisual materials through interlibrary loan?
Many libraries will not send out DVDs, videos and CDs on interlibrary loan. You are welcome to place a requests for media items you find in AMBS WorldCat, but please be advised that these requests are frequently denied.
If you have a course or research-related need for media items, please consult with Karl Stutzman when submitting your request.
Can I get my textbooks through interlibrary loan?
Interlibrary loan service is not designed to meet students' textbook needs. Please do not submit interlibrary loan requests for course textbooks.
- Seach AMBS WorldCat for the desired book or media item. You can use the search box in the Books & Media tab on the library home page.
- By default, AMBS WorldCat shows you materials in the AMBS Library first.
- Change the sorting routine from "Library and Relevance" to "Relevance Only" if you are not seeing the item you want.
- Click on the title.
- Click on the "PALShare" or "Interlibrary Loan" button.
- Follow the prompts to enter the requested information.
- Click Submit.
- Unless you get an error message, your request will be sent automatically to other libraries for their consideration. The AMBS library will contact you when the book has arrived.
- Expect PALshare items to arrive within a week and other interlibrary loan items to arrive in 1-2 weeks.
Request Copies of Articles or Book Chapters
- Search for articles on the library website or in EBSCO databases.
- If you don't see a link to the article, use the link. If it is not in the AMBS Library, you will see an interlibrary loan form with the citation entered already.
- Add your name and e-mail address, then send the interlibrary loan request.
- When the article or chapter arrives, it will usually be delivered to you via e-mail. Articles or chapters often arrive in 1-2 days.
Borrow Directly from Other Libraries
AMBS students and faculty may borrow books at any college, university, or seminary library in the state of Indiana.
- Some libraries, such as the Good Library and Mennonite Historical Library at Goshen College, will allow you to borrow with your AMBS Library Card. (full list)
- Other libraries, including University of Notre Dame, allow you to borrow with a special ALI reciprocal borrowing card. Get one from an AMBS librarian before you go. (full list)
Students living in the city of Elkhart may get a borrower's card at the Elkhart Public Library with proof of residence. Elkhart Public Library also offers reciprocal borrowing privileges to cardholders from other local public libraries.